Prof. David R. Makulu Lecture Theatre
Prof. David R. Makulu
Professor David R. Makulu, was born on 23rd March 1936 at Mbereshi Mission, Kawambwa district, Luapula province, Zambia. He attended primary school at Mutampuka and Kafulwe in Luapula province. He did his junior secondary school at Hope Fountain Mission and Goromonzhi in Southern Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. For his senior secondary school, he went to Munali High School. Prof. Makulu completed first degree in university education at Austin college, Texas, USA in 1963. He proceeded to graduate school and completed MSc in Biochemistry and Biology from Notre Dame University, USA in 1965 and obtained his PhD in 1971. He held several positions in his work and professional experience, including:
- Assistant Professor-Oncology and Biochemistry, Rochester University, School of Medicine, USA
- Associate Professor-Oncology and Biochemistry, Rochester University, School of Medicine, USA.
- Pharmacologist-Indiana School of Medicine, USA.
- Post-doctoral Fellow- Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, U.S.A.
- Member, Indiana Academy of Science, USA.
- Visiting Scientific Investigator-National Cancer Institute, USA.
- First Zambian Professor of Pharmacology-UNZA School of Medicine.
- First Zambian Dean- UNZA School of Medicine.
- Member, UNZA Senate and Council.
- Permanent Advisor to Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education.
Professor Makulu was a great patriot and a selfless man who left a prestigious and very rewarding job in the USA to come back to his country to accept a humble but satisfying job. Professor Makulu died on 25th December, 1996.